(201 E. Chapman Avenue)
Named for Louis E. Plummer, superintendent of Fullerton's High School and Junior College District from 1919 to 1941, the auditorium is a creative variation of a cathedral design with Spanish Colonial styling. The façade is highlighted by rich relief decoration around the entrance, and the clock tower in the Northwest corner has brilliant glazed tile ornamentation in a Moorish design. The auditorium houses a rare Wurlitzer theater organ. The west wall facing Fullerton High school was decorated with a WPA fresco mural created by noted artist Charles Kassler. The fresco, which depicted early California scenes, was painted over shortly after its completion because of public discontent over its "grotesque figures and weird colors." One of the only frescoes in the Western United States, it was restored and rededicated in 1997.
||Copyright 2009 Fullerton Heritage. All rights reserved.
Color photography by James C. Powell