Fullerton Downtown Walking Tour
Roy Lyon Service Station

Roy Lyon Service Station+*

(Retail shops - 500 N. Harbor Boulevard)

This L-shaped Spanish Colonial Revival building was designed in 1929 by the noted firm of Morgan, Walls, and Clements of Los Angeles, and was one of a series of Spanish-style commercial structures built by the firm throughout Southern California. This is a now rare example of an early motor court, an innovation pioneered by the firm. Previously, buildings were built all the way out to the sidewalk, with no on-site parking. It was built for Charles C. Chapman, Fullerton's first mayor, and used for a variety of automotive services until 1978, when it was converted into retail stores.

*National Register Building

 
Fullerton Heritage Logo
Copyright 2009 Fullerton Heritage. All rights reserved.
Color photography by James C. Powell
Previous Tour Site Return to Views & Tours Next Tour Site Return to Tour Navigation