Alician Court Theatre*
(Fox Fullerton - 510 N. Harbor Boulevard)
Now closed, the Fox Theatre was begun in 1924 and completed in 1925. An Italian Renaissance-inspired design by noted theater builders Meyer and Holler (also responsible for Grauman's (now Mann's) Chinese Theatre and the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood), it was originally a movie and stage theater, complete with theater pipe and echo organs. It was the Orange County destination for Hollywood premiers and hosted the likes of Douglas Fairbanks, Mary Pickford, Janet Gaynor, Harold Lloyd, and Buster Keaton, and boasted live performances by Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney. On February 17, 1929, the Fox became the first theater in Orange County to feature "talking" pictures. Six painted murals inside the theater depicting the discoveries of America and California, originally done by the noted firm of Anthony T. Heinsbergen and Co., were painted over during the theatre's 1955 remodeling. The theater was originally named after builder C. Stanley Chapman's wife Alice, but over the years had several names, including the Mission Court Theatre, the Universal Mission Court Theatre, the Fox Mission Theatre, and, finally, the Fox Fullerton Theatre. Fox West Coast Theatres purchased the theater in the 1930s.
Copyright 2009 Fullerton Heritage. All rights reserved.
Color photography by James C. Powell