(Villa del Sol - 305 N. Harbor Boulevard)
Once the elegant California Hotel, this building was designed in 1922 by local architects Frank Benchley and Eugene Durfee. This Spanish Colonial Revival hotel boasted 121 rooms, 22 apartments, and an elevator. It was in 1921 that a group of citizens, headed by Charles C. Chapman, formed a corporation for the sole purpose of constructing a first-class hotel in the city. There was an open courtyard facing Harbor Boulevard until 1964 when the front portion was added during the building's renovation and conversion to a commercial center.
||Copyright 2009 Fullerton Heritage. All rights reserved.
Color photography by James C. Powell