Downtown Fullerton Walking Tour
Chapman Building
Building detail

building detail

Be sure to note the detailed cornice and window decoration.

Chapman Building*

(110 E. Wilshire Avenue)

Built and owned by Charles C. Chapman, the first mayor of Fullerton and the "father" of the Valencia orange industry, the Chapman Building was home to the Chapman/Wickett Department Store and was Orange County's tallest building when it was constructed in 1923. Upper floors housed law and medical offices. Designed by architect Eugene Durfee in a style reminiscent of the Chicago School of Architecture, and built with the best materials available, the building remains the cornerstone of historic downtown Fullerton. Highlights include the cornice along the top of the five-story structure and the thick glass blocks in the sidewalk that illuminate the full basement below. The building was renovated and restored at a cost of $3 million in 1983. At that time, a new terra cotta entrance was crafted in Northern California to duplicate the original that had been jackhammered out during a 1950s remodeling.

*National Register Building

 
Fullerton Heritage Logo
Copyright 2009 Fullerton Heritage. All rights reserved.
Color photography by James C. Powell
Previous Tour Site Return to Views & Tours Next Tour Site Return to Tour Navigation