Downtown Walking Tour
City Hall
City Hall detail City Hall detail
   

City Hall*

(Fullerton Police Department - 237 W. Commonwealth Ave.)

The present Fullerton Police facility was originally dedicated as the City Hall in July, 1942. An exceptionally fine example of the Spanish Colonial Revival Style applied to civic architecture, the building was one of the community's WPA projects. The building also has a WPA mural painted by the well-known muralist Helen Lundeberg. The building's balanced design, enclosing the sunken patio on two sides, is complemented by fine detail work that is particularly apparent in the central corner tower. The Police Department has occupied the building since construction of the new City Hall in 1963.

*National Register Building

WPA Plaque

Police neon sign

Fullerton Heritage Logo
Copyright 2009 Fullerton Heritage. All rights reserved.
Color photography by James C. Powell
Previous Tour Site Return to Views & Tours Next Tour Site Return to Tour Navigation